In order to achieve and progress, your goals need to be SMART. But what does SMART mean?
SMART is an acronym used to describe goals. Each letter means:
Specific: a specific goal is much more likely to be accomplished than a general goal. When setting the goal, think about these six questions: Who? What? Where? When? Which? Why?
Measurable: can you see the progress and measure the outcome of your goal? How will you know when your goal is accomplished?
Achievable: goals should stretch and challenge you, but also be achievable. By having actions and steps, you will find that your goals are much more attainable.
Realistic: a goal must be something that you are both willing and able to reach. It needs to be possible for your level of skill, the time you have, and your commitment level.
Timely: the goal must be grounded within a time frame, otherwise there’s no sense of urgency. By not having a time frame, the goal is much less likely to be accomplished.
An example of a SMART goal
If you decided you wanted to gain more likes on your Facebook company page, here’s a way of making it a smart goal:
“To get 300 more Facebook likes on our company page within 3 months of Facebook advertising.”
How this goal is SMART:
- Specific: the goal has a specific amount of Facebook likes.
- Measurable: the goal states the number of likes you want to gain, so the results of the goal can be measured against that number.
- Achievable: it’s a goal which can be broken down into actions and steps (see below)
- Realistic: the actions and budget are realistic and achievable with a realistic time-frame.
- Timely: it has a time limit of 3 months.
Actions to achieve the goal
- Research how to create Facebook ads.
- Choose the type of Facebook ads for your company and to gain Facebook likes.
- Decide on the budget for the ads – work out what you think 300 Facebook likes are worth and how much you are willing to spend.
- Create the ads.
- Publish the ads.
- Review how well the ads are doing and adapt the ads or budget if you need to.
- Decide whether to carry on running ads or to change any of the options of the current ads.
Each action needs a deadline date and the name of the person who is doing the action.
Why must goals be SMART?
Without goals, your business doesn’t have aims, therefore it isn’t going to grow and develop. It’s important that goals are specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and timely, as this makes goals much more likely to be accomplished as you will be much more motivated. Having a big, general goal without a time-frame is much harder to achieve. As a business owner it is up to you to set your goals, so do yourself a favour and make them SMART!